If Obama has time for exercise, what is our excuse?

President-Elect Barack Obama works out and plays basketball religiously. On Tuesday, his basketball may become less frequent because of the job demands while the exercise will probably remain. He will need the energy and stimulation one gets from exercise to tackle the enormous tasks ahead of him. What you may not know is that President Bush is in great shape as well, exercising regularly; one of the few things these men have in common.

I often hear the words, "I don't have time to work out" which is just a lame excuse. Most people have time to do some form of exercise even if it has to be in their home. Obama has been as busy as anyone in America and he found the time!

I never use the aforementioned words but my actions sometimes indicate that I would. I ran a half-marathon on Sept 6, 2008 in less than favorable weather conditions. It was a great challenge and I was happy to complete it. Since then, I have only worked out 3-4 times; pathetic in my eyes. I was quite busy during those 4 lazy months and had a baby on the way but that is no excuse as I had some time but chose not to use it for much needed exercise. Can you relate?

To coincide with the inauguration of our next President, I plan to get back on the exercise train and keeping it rolling at a consistent pace. When I exercise, my body feels better, my mind is sharper and I have more energy; things that make life more enjoyable. I don't mind taking a few weeks off but 4 months is unacceptable. Fortunately, I am active and eat properly so my weight has remained the same.

Like Obama, I love basketball.

Unlike Obama, I don't play because of the injury factor.

With two small kids, I cannot afford a knee injury or Achilles tear which some find hard to understand. Quality of life is too important to me at this stage. Imagine being on crutches for 2 months with a job, wife and two young kids? No thanks! Maybe when my children are bigger, I can go back on the hardwood as I do miss it. There is nothing like the thrill of playing basketball, particularly if the players know the game. There have been moments on the court that have been almost dreamlike in intensity, fun and satisfaction.

Bryant Gumbel from HBO's Real Sports did a wonderful piece on Barack Obama and his love of basketball in early 2008. The link is below and will give you a unique look into one of his passions.

(http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Lqm5emQl4)

I don't believe in New Year's resolutions.

I do believe in inspiration and our next President has inspired me to get my body moving. That will happen this week.

By all accounts, he is a very good basketball player. If he asked me to play, I would surely get the dusty Nikes out and show him my Division 1 credentials. Until then, I will have to be satisfied with running and lifting weights.

The day (November 4th) Obama was elected, he played basketball in the morning. I wonder if he will exercise on the morning of January 20th? Probably so as he will need that boost of energy as history will be made and challenges will be abundant.

I wish our 44th President well.

Happy Gswede Sunday!


Gswede one month before running the 2006 Stockholm marathon. My goal is to get back to that kind of shape!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing as I read that Barack exercised regularly during his campaign (30 to 60 minutes or more per day, I think).

I live in Washington DC and our Mayor Fenty is a triathlete who runs 10K's in less than 40 minutes! He trains 3 or 4 mornings a week starting at 6am.

I'm a tennis player who never ran distances but I'm now running 40 minutes per day 3 to 4 days per wk and feeling fantastic.

You only live once so you might as well feel good.

KD